For those of you in a hurry, here is a bare-bones argument against creationism.
· Creationists say that God created a perfect world (Genesis 1).
· Creationists say that God created a world that could not evolve.
· If species cannot evolve, then they will become extinct as the world changes.
· Therefore God created a world that was not built to last.
· But this contradicts Genesis 1, in which God said his creation was “very good.”
Some creationists will respond that God did not intend the world to last very long. I have had some of them tell me this. But this contradicts the Bible.
· If the world was not built to last, it was not “very good.”
· Genesis does not say that God intended the world to be temporary. The creationists just made that up.
Many creationists will say that God cursed the world in Genesis 3, which means that it is NOW no longer very good. But this does not change the fact that Genesis 1 does not say God intended the world to be temporary.
Creationism is incompatible with a belief that a competent Creator made a perfectly-functioning world.
I have now concluded—for this reason and for another I will present in the next essay—that it is a total waste of time to present evidence against creationism. I used to spend a lot of time trying to disprove creationism using evidence from fossils, DNA, etc. I now see it is a waste of time because creationism is incompatible even with the Bible.