Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Serious Humorous Interlude

Please remember to visit my YouTube site for videos in which I explain evolutionary concepts in the guise of Charles Darwin. You’ll be glad you did!

This is a humorous poem that takes a backward look at human evolution. I first saw it when I was in high school, back when I was a creationist. I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now.

Darwin’s Mistake
(Evolution—From the Monkey’s Viewpoint)

Three monkeys sat in a coconut tree Discussing things as they are said to be.

Said one to the others, “Now listen, you two, There’s a rumor around that can’t be true, That man descended from our noble race. The very idea is a great disgrace.

“No monkey has ever deserted his wife, Starved her babies and ruined her life. And you’ve never known a mother monk To leave her babies with others to bunk Or pass from one on to another Till they scarcely know who is their mother.

“And another thing you’ll never see, A monk build a fence round a coconut tree, And let the coconuts go to waste, Forbidding all other monks to taste. Why, if I put a fence around a tree, Starvation will force you to steal from me!

“Here’s another thing a monkey won’t do, Go out at night and get on a stew, Or use a gun or club or knife To take some other monkey’s life.

“Yes, man descended, the ornery cuss, But, brother, he didn’t descend from us!”

This poem has appeared in many places on the web, without attribution of authorship. One website, however, identifies the author as Gilliam S. Weaver and tells his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment