Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Keep Walking and Keep Your Eyes Open

Today I took a hike on the nearby “mountain” in the fulness of spring. Most of the flowers have finished blooming, but there are millions of fresh green leaves. Over several years, I have seen about 45 species of plants that are common and easily visible this time of year. That is, if I walked everywhere on the mountain today and looked closely, I would have seen about 45 plant species. This does not count down by the river, etc.


But I discovered that, when I stopped and stood in place, and looked for all the plant species I could find, I could see only about nine species (9.2 species, averaged over 10 places). My path took me briefly into an open field, where I was also able to see only 9 plant species from any one location.

The lesson is very simple. You will not be able to see everything from one viewpoint. When I stood still I could see only about one-fifth of the plant species. You have to keep walking and looking in order to see the great majority of plant species. Just one glance will not do it. I try to be observant all the time wherever I go.

It is a happy way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment